Business Analyst – Oil, Gas, & Chemical
Requisition ID: 155745
Job Level: Mid Level
Home District/Group: Kiewit Energy US District
Department: Business Management
Employment Type: Full Time
Position OverviewAre you interested in helping be responsible for the business management of projects ranging from $1 million to $4 billion? How about taking part in key forecasting and accounting practices? If this is something that interests you, Kiewit is looking for individuals who can make a profound impact on our company culture every day.
The Business Specialist is an early career role focused on supporting a project in accounting and finance related functions. Each project at Kiewit is run like a small business, with the Business Specialist concentrated on critical tasks such as cost control, payroll, accounts payable/receivable, human capital management, and compliance. This position will become skilled executing processes and utilizing tools related to different types of cost and revenue components such as labor, construction equipment, materials, and subcontracts. The Business Specialist will be an integral part of the month end close out process, and assist with preparing a financial reporting package for project management.
At Kiewit, the scale of our operations is huge. Our construction and engineering projects span across the United States, Canada and Mexico, improving and connecting communities with every initiative. We depend on our high-performing operations support professionals — they’re the glue that holds multiple areas of the business together and the catalysts that make things happen. We hire only the most driven people and we offer them diverse career opportunities, strong leadership and mentorship, rewarding, collaborative work, and responsibility they won’t find just anywhere. We’re always pushing new limits. You can too.
District OverviewKiewit Energy was established to better serve the diverse and expanding energy market. Kiewit Energy provides cohesive engineering, procurement and construction services to the oil, gas, refining, chemicals, petrochemicals, biofuels, and other process industries. Early Contract Involvement presence offering clients long-term relationships, providing integrated schedules, realistic construction estimates, and construction driven execution planning.
LocationThis position is based out of our Energy Corridor office in Houston, TX. We offer a hybrid work schedule where you can work in the office 3 days per week/work from home 2 days per week.
One of the many things that makes Kiewit’s culture unique is that we go where the work is, which exposes your career to abundant opportunities. We relocate our teams based on the work that is available, combined with the development plans, skill sets and career goals of each team member. This means your Kiewit adventure is custom-designed to meet our shared needs.
Responsibilities• Recognizes the importance of being a team player by adapting to project needs and helping in other areas as needed
• Fosters relationships with the Operations team and shows a willingness to learn about the work
• Understands the payroll and HR process workflow, and masters the systems used to properly hire, transfer, terminate, and pay all employees
• Comprehends how goods are purchased, invoices are received and paid, and maintains purchasing workflow internal controls
• Demonstrates understanding of the accounts payable process workflow and is able troubleshoot payment or vendor issues
• Understands intercompany and client billing process workflow, importance of timely and accurate billing documentation, and the effects of timeliness on cash management
• Ensures that all cost and cost adjustments are reviewed for accuracy to meet company standards and accounting rules
• Reviews costs, quantity claiming, budget structure and exception reports and makes appropriate corrections to ensure accurate reporting for management
• Identifies, adjusts, and reviews forecast and budget issues with the cost report to confirm proper recognition of cost and revenue
• Displays first-rate customer service skills – maintains a positive attitude and always willing to offer a helping hand to other team members
• Maintains highly organized work environment, understands importance of time management, and communicates in a clear, concise and effective manner
• Follows the Corporate Compliance Program and works in conjunction with the compliance department to implement all EEO and labor laws at the project level
Qualifications• Ability to travel up to 25%
• 1-3 years’ financial/data analysis experience
• Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Economics, Statistics, Business Management, or equivalent degree
• Previous internship experience is preferred
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word and Outlook
• Experience working with Pivot Tables, V-Look Ups, and other key excel functions is preferred
• Effective oral and written communication, organization and interpersonal skills.
• Strong attention to detail with the ability to recognize discrepancies
• Positive attitude, eagerness to learn, and passionate for continuous improvement
• Must be able to freely access all parts of a construction site in wide-ranging climates and environments
• Ability to work well independently, as well as part of a team.
• Must have a valid Driver’s License
Other common names for this role: Business Manager, Business Analyst, Financial Analyst
• Regular, reliable attendance
• Work productively and meet deadlines timely
• Communicate and interact effectively and professionally with supervisors, employees, and others individually or in a team environment.
• Perform work safely and effectively. Understand and follow oral and written instructions, including warning signs, equipment use, and other policies.
• Work during normal operating hours to organize and complete work within given deadlines. Work overtime and weekends as required.
• FIELD ROLES ONLY May work at various different locations and conditions may vary.
We offer our fulltime staff employees a comprehensive benefits package that’s among the best in our industry, including top-tier medical, dental and vision plans covering eligible employees and dependents, voluntary wellness and employee assistance programs, life insurance, disability, retirement plans with matching, and generous paid time off.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Attention To Detail