Requisition ID: 148440
Job Level: Mid Level
Home District/Group: Cherne District
Employment Type: Full Time
Position OverviewAs an Estimator, you will prepare, review and present discipline estimates for specific project proposal activities. In this role, you will provide estimating assistance and guidance to projects, develops conceptual estimates and performs cost analysis. You will be responsible for assisting in the development of discipline/service estimators, developing and updating historical databases, and assisting in the development of department procedures. Provides direction to others on project/program level tasks.
District OverviewCherne Contracting is one of Kiewit’s oldest districts. Founded in 1916. Cherne is a valuable part of Kiewit and is well known for safety and quality of execution in amazing projects within the oil, gas and chemical sectors. Alone and with other Kiewit districts through internal joint ventures, Cherne not only provides challenges but the stability and career development opportunities expected in a world-class multi-billion-dollar organization.
LocationThis position will be based out of Bloomington, MN.
Responsibilities• Develop complete estimates for large, complex jobs.
• Review owner plans and specifications to develop a comprehensive understanding of the project; develop plan for the actual construction to serve as basis for the estimate.
• Reviews all bid and contract documents and home office legal department opinions.
• Conduct site investigation prior to forming a plan of operations to identify any problems or conditions of an unusual nature that may be present.
• Utilize engineer techniques and procedures to conduct investigation and adhere to standard company policy and procedures.
• Perform design work as required by the project that is beyond the estimator scope of experience; handle any major technical problems encountered during bid preparation.
• Stay abreast of trends and developments, such as new equipment, methods and procedures that are developing in the industry.
• Solicit RFQ’s to Subcontractors and material suppliers as necessary.
• Consult with owners on various problems discovered during bid preparation, design, rates, schedules, etc.
Qualifications• Ability to travel as needed (<25%)
• Undergraduate degree in construction management, construction engineering, architecture, or relative field experience.
• 5+ years' estimating experience preferred.
• Extensive knowledge and demonstrated experience with complex OGC or heavy industrial projects
• Passion for preconstruction and estimating.
• Applicant must be familiar with conceptual, hard bid, and self-perform estimating.
• Strong organizational and time management skills.
• Must be detail-oriented and technically sound with good communication skills.
• Strong work ethic is a must.
• Ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
• Ability to utilize computers, and experience with Microsoft Office, On-Screen Takeoff, InEight Estimate, Timberline and/or MC2, or other estimating software programs.
• Interested in professional development and continued education.
• Ability to comprehend the National Electrical Code and apply to project estimates.
• Extensive knowledge of electrical and instrumentation systems and ability to field route commodities not listed on drawings.
• Regular, reliable attendance
• Work productively and meet deadlines timely
• Communicate and interact effectively and professionally with supervisors, employees, and others individually or in a team environment.
• Perform work safely and effectively. Understand and follow oral and written instructions, including warning signs, equipment use, and other policies.
• Work during normal operating hours to organize and complete work within given deadlines. Work overtime and weekends as required.
• FIELD ROLES ONLY May work at various different locations and conditions may vary.
We offer our fulltime staff employees a comprehensive benefits package that’s among the best in our industry, including top-tier medical, dental and vision plans covering eligible employees and dependents, voluntary wellness and employee assistance programs, life insurance, disability, retirement plans with matching, and generous paid time off.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Attention To Detail