About the role :
We are now looking for a Legal Counsel, who will provide professional legal advice and counsel to the entities we support. In this role, as the successful candidate, you will also have the great opportunity to lead and co-ordinate the identification and management of legal risks.
- With a great level of independence, provide proactive and commercially focussed legal advice and support that assists in the delivery of the business’ strategic plans and when necessary escalate matters to Managing Counsel
- Provide an effective compliance environment appropriately to manage and reduce legal risk in the business and its operations
- Provide local legal support to the international downstream businesses in Southern Africa
- Provide simplified business-focused legal solutions to potentially complex or fast moving problems
- Liaise regularly with the business colleagues on needs of the business and service delivery to it from the Legal team
- Meet agreed deadlines or, where that is not possible, communicate that fact timeously
- Support the Managing Counsel, Southern Africa and represent the Legal Function on specific matters
- Support the Managing Counsel – Southern Africa in the management and oversight of external law firms, ensuring that the use of external firms is recorded, tracked against estimate and performance of the external firms is monitored against a clear brief or instruction
- Create connections across the business/function in order to leverage and collaborate with other lawyers in Africa as well as with the other Downstream & Shipping lawyers and specialist teams globally as appropriate
- Create simplicity through applying standardised solutions
- Act consistently in line with bp standards including Code of Conduct
Candidate requirements :
- Good understanding of both corporate and commercial contract law, including understanding principles of indemnities, warranties, liability, etc.
- Solid experience as a trusted adviser to clients.
- Ability to work with key stakeholders to identify, assess and manage legal and corporate governance issues.
- A self-starter approach, with an organized, diligent approach and personal integrity.
- Ability to self-motivate in to deliver to deadline and manage multiple conflicting demands across a diverse business portfolio.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Good verbal and written skills, with an ability to communicate complex issues succinctly to a range of audiences.
- Self-confidence to engage with a variety of stakeholders.
- Collaborative and effective team working – consider all necessary angles in coming to a decision and ensures involvement.
- Strong values and behaviours, particularly the courage to speak up and One Team.