About the role :
The senior engineer will perform a key role to design, research and develop new nuclear reactors within a team environment, working with partner organizations and suppliers to advance plant conceptual and detailed design and successfully deliver a new plants project. The engineer will produce a design through a balance of cutting edge and proven technologies and will also be responsible for development and implementation of licensing and technical requirements for advanced work in new nuclear plants.
- Provide system design deliverables which include: system design specifications, which include performing structural analysis and calculations
- Perform Soil-Structure-Interaction (SSI) analysis of Nuclear Power Plant Safety-Related Structures
- Perform design and analysis of Nuclear Power Plant Safety-Related Structures in accordance with the following codes: ASME B&PV Section III Division 2, AISC N690 code, and ACI 349 code.
- Perform Static and Dynamic analysis of complex NI and Containment structures using SAP4, ANSYS and/or NASTRAN computer codes.
- Understand and analyze the effect of thermal stresses in the reactor containment and resolve over stress conditions
- Define hydrodynamic input loads for calculation of dynamic response of containment structure and the C/S design of reactor containment
- Analyze the effects of missiles, aircraft impact and severe wind on reinforced concrete structures
- Develop engineering reports and licensing documentation.
- Interface with internal and external customers, suppliers, partners, the NRC and international regulatory authorities on technical issues.
- Incorporate design requirements into analyses and design documents; prepare systems documentation using the designated requirements management tool
- Lead and conduct design analyses, evaluations, and verifications for various BWR structural systems
- Apply engineering knowledge and practical experience to the analysis, investigation, and solution of complex design problems and application issues
- Develop drawings and specifications to assure products can reliably meet all engineering and quality requirements
- Work proactively with existing BWR product line and quality personnel through process procedure approvals, process qualification approvals, and non-conforming material disposition
- Perform work tasks in accordance with current regulatory guides and industry standards applicable to the Systems and Equipment and the associated components and their interfaces with other systems
- Provide on-time, quality delivery of equipment packages and engineering documentation in accordance with contract requirements, business procedures, and regulatory agency guidelines
Candidate requirements :
- Master of Science degree in Civil Engineering
- Minimum of 8 years of experience in energy business (nuclear preferred) or equivalent technical environment
- Minimum of 4 years of FEA and/or ANSYS
- Minimum of 2 years of experience in a program or technical leadership role
- Minimum of 2 years of experience working with customers, regulators and suppliers
- Relocation to Wilmington, NC is required once site reopens (Site currently closed due to Covid-19)
- PhD in Civil Engineering
- Proven ability to think strategically, be creative and move quickly
- Strong team building skills
- Process oriented with ability to facilitate continuous performance improvement
- Open communication style and proven ability to develop team relationships
- Working knowledge of BWR plants and specifically the BOP/TI/HVAC system side of the plant
- Experience in the construction of a nuclear power plant
- Knowledge of nuclear business products, business processes, customers and competitive environment