About the role:
This position is best suited for an individual desiring a technical career progression responsible for leading and performing power system technical studies in support of various groups within Southern Company.
The successful candidate will be part of a team that performs dynamic simulations for transmission planning studies on the Southern Company Bulk Transmission System. These studies involve voltage stability, transient stability, under-frequency and under-voltage load shedding, FIDVR, and out-of-step protection.
This position also performs stability studies in support of generation interconnections, transmission service requests, regional planning with neighboring transmission systems, and generator retirements/additions.
- Short circuit analysis and power system modeling to support analytical studies.
- Perform dynamic studies to determine protection system requirements for the stability of the power system.
- Provide technical expertise and leadership in industry committees and initiatives.
- Transmission system studies using both phasor domain and time-domain methods.
- Research of special technical issues impacting the electric power system.
- Coordination with others in Transmission Planning to develop innovative and cost-effective solutions, including coordinated studies with neighboring transmission systems.
- Other technical studies, as requested, in support of Southern Company and the Operating Companies.
- Coordination with multiple groups and internal customers within Southern Company and the Operating Companies.
- Limited overnight travel may be required (less than 20%).
- A Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering from an ABET-accredited institution is required.
- Advanced degree or post-graduate classes in Electrical Engineering with electric power systems emphasis is a plus but not required.
- Professional Engineering License is a plus.
- Experience in performing transient stability studies is desired.
- Experience in electrical power system modeling and analysis is a plus.
- Experience in protection and control design, applications, or field services is a plus.
- Experience in generator control system modeling and analysis is a plus.
- Experience with computer programming (MATLAB, C, Visual Basic, VB.Net, or Python) related to study automation is a plus.
- General knowledge of design, control, and operation of a bulk electric system is desired.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
The successful candidate must:
- Be able to communicate effectively with diverse internal groups while tailoring communication for specific technical audiences and situations.
- Demonstrate good written and verbal communication skills
- Have good time management and organizational skills in order to balance multiple projects simultaneously and adhere to deadlines.
- Be proficient with power system modeling and analytical software which could include: CAPE, ASPEN, PSS/E, PowerWorld, MATLAB, Mathcad, SINCAL, ATP, PSCAD, EMTP-RV, VSAT, TSAT, SSAT.
- Be self-motivated, results-oriented, innovative, and work well in a team environment.
- Have strong analytical skills and a drive to solve complex engineering problems.
- Candidates will be evaluated on Southern Company’s “Our Values” (Safety First, Unquestionable Trust, Superior Performance, and Total Commitment).